An easy way to update the look of your home is a coat of paint on interior walls. Before you get started or hire any painters in Victoria BC here’s some helpful tips you need to know.
1) Sheen is important, sheen refers to gloss, satin or eggshell finish when you select a paint. High traffic areas need a gloss or satin sheen to stand up to touching and washing, their drawback is that they show imperfections ( wavy drywall, patched areas ) and make them quite noticeable. Choose a matte finish like flat when you want to mask imperfections the downside is they are not a durable or easy to clean.
2) Embrace color, be brave enough to use bold colors, select ones that add depth and texture to a room. Even mood and emotion can be influenced by your color choices.
3) Try Samples first by purchasing a sample tin you can apply enough to see how the color will look on your wall. This is a much better idea than holding up small color chips or buying a larger can and finding it doesn’t work in the room.
4) Do the math to know how much paint you’ll need, measure the square footage of walls including alcoves or dormers and allow for a little extra. Remember to factor in for extra coats, primer and porosity of the walls as well as having enough leftover for any future repairs needed.
5) Be a prepper, the bulk of your time is needed to tape off areas, move furniture or fixtures, taking time to repair or patch any imperfections and removing switchplates etc will take up most of your time.
6) Primer is key unless your purchase a primer and paint all in 1 product it’s recommended to primer first especially if it’s a drastic color change, also it provides a layer for the topcoat to adhere to.
7) It’s ok to cut in, by cutting in at corners and edges it makes the rest of the painting to go quicker.
8) Rollers save time even though a using a roller might need handles, poles and roller covers compared to using a brush it’s a much quicker application, Remember to overlap by painting a W for better coverage.
9) Use an extension pole, besides a ladder and extension pole works well for rollering paint on ceilings and higher spots.
10) Combine Cans, mixing multiple cans of paint in a larger container provides for a more uniform color even though color consistency has greatly improved overtime.
Looking for the services of a painting professional in Victoria BC why not give Paintworks a call for all your painting needs.
Straight Edge Painting provides interior residential painting for homeowners looking to improve the look and feel of their homes interior.